Saturday, October 23, 2010

Stained Glass Paper Painting - huh?

("PLAY" as you visit) - True Colors/Phil Collins



King Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun - yet I keep trying to do my own thing. This week's brain-explosion involved water coloring sections of a painting to look like stained glass - with true dividers (fake leading) created from dimensional paint.

I better show you rather than tell you...


I decided that since this was a whole new adventure that I wanted to take I had better not get hung up on the design aspect and, therefore, by using art I already created (a recycled design kind of thing) - I would not get bogged down on that part - and could thusly (who talks like that - Frasier Crane?) focus on the technique or, in this case, the latest hair-brained scheme.



I took watercolor paper and drew my design onto it lightly - of course I should have measured and been more graphically centered and all that jazz, but I was racing myself to get the idea onto paper before I decided to do something completely different like make an altered doll out of a shoe and an old bone or something...

I next took dimensional paint (that wicked crafty stuff in a bottle that splatters, gets clogged, and at the worst possible moment "burps" and globs driblets where you don't want them; yes, that stuff) and went over my pencil marks. I hoped this would look like stained glass "leading" - kind of. What do you think?





I began to watercolor ... well - at first I grabbed some regular colored pencils that were mixed in with my watercolor pencils - ugh... then I got out my really nifty Holbein WC tubes and saved the day... As I pooled the water my hope was that the lighter areas would mimic light shining through the back of glass... maybe it worked a little?

Anyway - I'll hush now and let Phil sing... (True Colors) ... sing with me...




The final FINAL pictures will be from scans - all squared up nicely and will reflect the 'true colors' (wink) more accurately - I hope. The originals will be listed in my ETSY store soon and giclee reproductions will eventually follow.


~xo Katey

You with the sad eyes - don't be discouraged ! oh I realize it's hard to take courage in a world full of people - you can lose sight of it all and the darkness inside you can make you fell so small. But I see your true colors shining through. I see your true colors and that's why I love you, so don't be afraid to let them show - your true colors -- true colors are beautiful like a rainbow.

Show me a smile then - don't be unhappy. Can't remember when I last saw you laughing. If this world makes you crazy and you've taken all you can bear - you call me up because you know I'll be there. And I'll see your true colors shining through. I see your true colors and that's why I love you, so don't be afraid to let them show --
your true colors -- true colors are beautiful like a rainbow

(Cindy Lauper)

"Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right." (Acts 10:34-35) 

 

~ ~ ~ 

3 comments:

Denise Aumick said...

Success! These look like stained glass to me. The colors are really luscious.

Tami Cohen said...

luscious is the perfect word :) well done x

Liz Revit said...

Katey, these paintings are wonderful. I love the colors!