Saturday, January 31, 2009

BiG Heads

FREDDIE: "Work in Progress" - katey-D / blueyeduckstudios




Who Wants to Live Forever ~ Queen











Jim Morrison: "Work in Progress" - katey-D / blueyeduckstudios


I need some good old fashioned "Time in Bottle" ala Jim Croce.
So anyway - here I am in the middle of unending projects and school work and life and death and all the stuff that happens no matter what day it is or what the weather is or what the body feels like ...

and I not only do I say YES to painting 5 (or more) Rock Star Portraits larger than life... I actually was part of the brainstorming that birthed the idea...


These and more will be hanging in a Rock 'n Roll themed restaurant/bar near Cleveland.

You are seeing the washes of gray that is the foundation for all the vibrant color that will follow...
The "stars" were chosen for a combination of reasons: recognizability and the way light and shadow worked on each face...

Be kind - these are in the first stages of being born...


STEVEN TYLER: "Work in Progress" - katey-D / blueyeduckstudios


As ALWAYS - find my art at

www.blueyeduckstudios.etsy.com

~katey

:)

** these interpretive portraits are part of a collection for display purposes only and are NOT FOR SALE**

8 comments:

nic2415 said...

Katie says "I have an idea. Since I don't have enough going on, I'm gonna paint a bunch of faces for a restaurant! And they'll be giant! And then I'll buy a boat. And I'll paint that too! And then I'll take up whale hunting."
Oh, to be a fly on the wall of the inside of your head.
Busy Beaver!

Raspberry Grace said...

Great Art (in progress) Katey! :)

Love Rasp x

Mary Poppins said...

Beautiful work, wow you are truly talented :)

Thank you so much for your encouraging words I would love some depth to my blog and if I can have the depth along with the pretties I shall be more than a happy bunny

I shall look forward to coming here again

X

Gerushia's New World said...

KD:

You never cease to amaze me! Now...you're painting rock stars? I must admit, when I was in 12th grade, I did a charcoal portrait of Jim Morrison. From the same photo that your portrait is from. But, of course, it wasn't as large as yours, and it wasn't destined to hang in a restaurant. But, I did win a blue ribbon!! Yipeee...

Hang in there my friend:
Kim
Garden Painter Art

Lori Andrews said...

Katy, I'm a huge fan of Queen, can't wait to see those finished, my what a project on your hands! HUGE!!! Great start! :)

Merry's Musings said...

Katie, you are just amazing. I am thunderstruck. They are HUGE. I can't wait to see them finished. I hope you post a note on Ruebee when you get them done. I wish that restaurant was local.

Denise Aumick said...

xoxoxo...these look marvelous!

ottoblotto said...

Dearest Duck, Thank you so much for the kind words; a balm to the spirit. It has been a rough few weeks.

I had not visited your blog in awhile. Your giant paintings are amazing.